Structural Analysis Laboratory
Head of Core Facility
Advanced structural studies by means of high-resolution transmission electron microscopy (including local chemical analysis and diffraction) and high resolution scanning electron microscopy (including local elemental analysis and electron backscatter diffraction) both in high and low vacuum. Surface modification (machining, layer deposition) by ion beam. Precise manufacturing of TEM foils by ion beam.
Highly advanced materials imaging at the atomic scale level will be available to all CEITEC research groups, coupled with the availability of highly sensitive chemical analysis at the nano-scale level. It will be possible to observe and analyse both conductive and non-conductive bulk specimens of technical materials in terms of chemistry and crystallography without coating. High-resolution imaging, analysis and ion beam manipulation as well as advanced TEM sample preparation techniques will be possible. Instrumental capacity will be shared mainly inside CEITEC and partially offered outside.
Key Equipment (Core Facility fully operational from 2014)
- High resolution (sub nanometer) FEG SEM + analytical attachments (EDS + WDS + EBSD)
- High resolution 300 keV FEG TEM/STEM with aberration correctors + analytical systems (EDS + EELS)
- TEM and SEM sample preparation unit (ion polisher for TEM foils, ion polisher for bulk SEM pecimens and electrolytical polisher for TEM foils)
- FEG -SEM high/low vacuum + analytical attachments (EDS + WDS + EBSD)
- XRD + Goebble mirror for HR spectra acquisition + JCPDS database + high temperature chamber
All CEITEC core facilities are available to external users (academia and companies). Czech and international researchers from universities and research institutes interested in accessing core facilities can benefit from support of CEITEC – open access project funded by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic.