POSTDOC – structural biology of coupled transcription and translation
Published on 16.01.2020
The Director of Central European Institute of Technology
(CEITEC MU) opens a position
Postdoc – structural biology of coupled transcription and translation
CEITEC is a scientific centre in the fields of life sciences, advanced materials and technologies whose aim is to establish itself as a recognized centre for basic as well as applied research. CEITEC offers a state-of-the-art infrastructure and great conditions to employ excellent researchers.
Our institute values diversity and promotes an inclusive working environment with the aim to support the best scientists. CEITEC MU is a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission. (http://muni.ceitec.cz/en/hr-strategy-hrs4r/)
A postdoc position is available in newly established Demo lab (CEITEC, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic) to participate in research focused on structural mechanisms of transcription-translation coupling in bacteria and potentially in virus-infected mammalian cells. We are seeking a person with expertise in structural biology and biochemistry, specifically in single-particle cryo-electron microscopy and cryo-electron tomography of RNA polymerase and ribosomes in bacteria and virus-infected mammalian cells. Research will be conducted at CEITEC located in the life science campus of Masaryk University (Brno, Bohunice, https://www.ceitec.eu/).
- PhD in structural biology/biochemistry received within the last 5 years.
- High knowledge of single-particle cryo-EM and cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET).
- Some years of work experience in preparation of samples for in vivo cryo-ET imaging (focused ion beam milling) and analysis of cryo-ET tomograms.
- Publishing record – in the last four years at least two publication outputs registered in the Thomson Reuters Web of Science, Scopus or ERIH PLUS databases and at the same time publications such as “articles”, “books”, “book chapters”, “letters” and “reviews”. The applicant must be the principal author of at least two publications demonstrating creativity and scientific quality.
- Good English language – spoken and written
Desirable but not required:
- Motivated person with collaborative mind set
- Willingness to engage in the life of academic community
- Interesting position in a dynamically expanding research institute
- An attractive salary and benefits package
- Background of a recognized and successful institution with supportive and international working environment
- Environment promoting interdisciplinarity and intersect orality of research
- In house core facilities
- Support of administrative departments (including grant office service)
- Support with the relocation process (welcome office service)
- 6 weeks of paid holiday
Anticipated start date: Negotiable
Applications including CV, contacts for referees and a brief motivation letter should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the “Postdoc – structural biology of coupled transcription and translation” in the subject.
Electronic application deadline is: 29th February, 2020
Information about Brno, Czech Republic
- The capital of South Moravian Region and the second largest city in the Czech Republic with a population of almost 400,000 people
- Modern, dynamic and fast growing centre of industry, trade, science, research and innovation with business incubators and centres of excellence in science
- A city of universities with more than 86,000 students
- More than 10,000 researchers; 2,200 IF publications/year; 600+ PhD graduates/year,
- 500 mil. EUR of R&D investment per year, more than 350 companies with in-house R&D,
- City of Gregor Mendel, the founder of genetics; the prestigious Mendel Lectures series takes place in Brno since 2003 (lectures of the world´s top scientists, including Nobel Prize winners),
- Quality of life index in 2016
For further information about:
Back to jobs