Independent evaluation by external evaluators is part of the long-term management strategy of our center, as well as its international setting and management. While at the world's leading institutions, an independent assessment of researchers after four to six years is the standard, in the Czech Republic, evaluation exclusively by a foreign commission in such an extensive format is not usually carried out. The individual evaluation commissions are chaired directly by the members of the International Scientific Advisory Board of CEITEC, the highest scientific advisory part, which helps to determine the basic direction of the research focus of the center. All its members are important experts working in the world's leading institutions.
More than 20 top experts from leading scientific institutions from all over the world take part in the evaluation. CEITEC organizes the evaluation of researchers exclusively by foreign experts without the participation of Czech evaluators, which guarantees a truly independent and transparent assessment. The aim is to obtain results on the basis of which specific impacts can be deduced for individual research groups. At the same time, the progress of the whole institution for the period since the last evaluation is evaluated.
The evaluators are leading experts in the field and are selected to ensure their impartiality, diversity and balance. Continuity of evaluation is ensured by the fact that roughly half of the members of the evaluation panels already evaluate CEITEC repeatedly, the other half are completely new people. They thus bring a new perspective and suggestions for improvement to the evaluation. ISAB also provides advice and expert recommendations for CEITEC management.
The Chairs of the Evaluation Boards are:
- Prof. Gustaaf Borghs, Senior fellow at IMEC, Full professor at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium - RP 1 Advanced Nanotechnologies and Microtechnologies
- Prof. Oliver Diwald, University of Salzburg, Austria - RP 2 Advanced Materials
- Prof. Michael Sattler, Chair of Biomolecular NMR-Spectroscopy, Department Chemie, Technische Universität München, Germany - RP 3 Structural Biology
- Prof. Dirk Inzé, Scientific Director and Department Director, Flanders Institute for Biotechnology, Department of Plant Systems Biology, Gent, Belgium - RP 4 Genomics and Proteomics of Plant Systems
- Prof. Witold Filipowicz, Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Basel, Switzerland - RP 5 Molecular Medicine
- Prof. Christoph M. Michel, Director, Functional Brain Mapping Laboratory, Department of Fundamental Neurosciences, University Medical School, Geneva, Switzerland - RP 6 Brain and Mind Research
- Prof. Heiner Niemann, Head of Institute, Head of Department Biotechnology, Fridrich-Loeffler Institute, Germany - RP 7 Molecular Veterinary Medicine
Evaluators are leading experts in the field and are selected to ensure no conflicts of interest, diversity, and balance. The continuity of the evaluation is ensured by the fact that about half of the members of the evaluation panels had already attended the evaluation in the past, while the other half is completely new. This brings a new perspective and suggestions for improvement. At the same time, ISAB provides expert advice for CEITEC management.
The first independent evaluation of CEITEC took place in July 2012, the second one in September 2014. The last evaluation was held on 29th-31st October 2018.