CEITEC – Central European Institute of Technology
CEITEC is a scientific centre in the fields of life sciences, advanced materials and technologies whose aim is to establish itself as a recognized centre for basic as well as applied research. CEITEC offers a state-of-the-art infrastructure and great conditions to employ excellent researchers. CEITEC was approved by the European Commission on 6th June 2011. It is a consortium whose partners include the most prominent universities and research institutes in Brno, and it benefits from the support of the Region of South-Moravia and the City of Brno. The following participate in the setting up of the centre of excellence: Masaryk University, Brno University of Technology, Mendel University in Brno, University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences in Brno, Veterinary Research Institute and Institute of Physics of Materials of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.
Multi-field CEITEC is in fact the first type of a scientific centre in the Czech Republic to integrate research and development in the fields of life sciences, advanced materials and technologies in such a large range.
The research is divided into 61 groups and 7 programmes:
1. Advanced Nanotechnologies and Microtechnologies,
2. Advanced Materials,
3. Structural Biology,
4. Genomics and Proteomics of Plant Systems,
5. Molecular Medicine,
6. Brain and Mind Research,
7. Molecular Veterinary Medicine.
New modern laboratories of an area of 25,000 m2 grew in the University Campus of Masaryk University in Brno - Bohunice and in the Brno University of Technology Campus "Pod Palackého vrchem". Almost 700 special instruments and unique facilities were selected and acquired based on the specific needs of scientific teams. The high-tech technologies at its disposal will facilitate synergistic study in the subjects of life and material sciences on all currently available levels of complexity, starting with individual atoms, through molecules, molecule groups and cells to whole organisms. Twelve core facilities allow specialized research, higher expertise, higher-quality facilities for advanced education and mainly close cooperation, also multidisciplinary. Thanks to the combination of the knowledge and resources of the six participating institutions it is possible to reach high quality results faster and with a higher involvement of the application sphere.
Roles of the CMS office
Protect and promote the CEITEC brand
- Organise high calibre CEITEC events maintaining high attendance and significant impact
- Inviting internationally recognised speakers for the events/seminars
- Foster internal branding of CEITEC; through Ph.D. school strengthening, publication affiliation policies
- Managing the CEITEC Connect science magazine – featuring research stories of CEITEC, the brains behind those research, and current science trends and policies
Augment International Outreach
- Support recruitment of international Ph.D. students, post-doctoral fellows, and Group Leaders
- Involvement and founding of international scientific consortia in the field of Nanotech and Life/Medical sciences
Science support policy and increase qualitative scientific performance
- Preparation of a science strategy for CEITEC
- Implement recommendations of ISAB
- Ensure increased functioning of the Core Facilities to meet the needs of the scientific community
Increase operationalisation and utilisation of Information System (IS)
- Training of personnel in use of IS
- Booking System – continuous update and support
- Technical support to CEITEC website, incl. analysis and revamping of the website
- Expand use of IS to comprise external members
Financial and Project Management
- Ensure proper monitoring and auditing of financial and project risk
- Acquire new projects to support CEITEC’s improved performance