Life in Brno
Brno Offers a Great Standard of Living
What does that mean? A safe place to live in, good-quality health care and many other benefits. You must come and see it with your own eyes!
Czech Republic´s capital of science and technology. Mild climate with four seasons, all parts of Europe within easy reach, and a wide range of tourist attractions. The Czech Republic ranks 22nd in international comparative lists of living standards and has maintained its high position on a long-time basis. However, what cannot be expressed in numbers is its genius loci and the unique and original atmosphere of the city. You must experience it!
We Are in the Heart of Europe
Basic Information About Brno
- The second-largest city in the Czech Republic, with almost 400,000 inhabitants.
- Modern, dynamic, and rapidly developing centre of industry, trade, science, research and innovations with business incubators and centres of excellence.
- University city with more than 86,000 students.
- More than 10,000 researchers; 2,200 IF publications / per year; 600+ postgraduate students / per year.
- EUR 5,000,000 a year spent on research and development, more than 350 companies realising their own research and development.
- City of Johann Gregor Mendel, a founder of genetics; a significant series of Mendel Lectures has taken place in Brno since 2003 (lectures given by world leading scientists, including Nobel prize holders)
- Index quality of life in 2016.
What do our employees appreciate the most In Brno?
Public transportView more
High-quality and affordable health careView more
Right in the heart of EuropeView more
It is friendly to foreigners and widely spoken EnglishView more
What do our employees say about Brno?
“My favourite things about Brno are the relaxed and friendly atmosphere, and how people from Brno embrace the outdoors.”
Jaclyn Quin, country of origin Australia, postdoc
“Během své vědecké kariéry jsem žil na různých místech po celém světě: Brno, Grenoble, Londýn, Washington D.C. a Worcester. Přesto jsem vždy miloval život v Brně a jsem nesmírně šťastný, že jsem se sem konečně vrátil. Jsem vášnivý turista, takže jsem rád, že si mohu znovu užít přírodu, která Brno obklopuje."
Gabriel Demo, country of origin Slovakia, research group leader
“When I came to Brno first for Erasmus exchange I felt very much like at home. That`s why I came back and I live here ever since- already 7 years! What I like the most? It's a small-big city: has a lot to offer and does not overwhelm. And the international community is really amazing.”
Agnieszka Szmitkowska, country of origin Poland, PhD student