- 1979 - Ph.D. (CSc.) - Brno University of Technology (Electrical and Electronic Technology)
- 1974 - M.S. (Ing.) - Brno University of Technology (Control Engineering and Measurement)
Employment and qualification
- 2011 – CEITEC BUT Director, CEITEC Brno University of Technology Director
- 2009 – 2011 CEITEC Science Director, CEITEC Brno University of Technology Deputy Director
- 1998 - Full Professor
- 1985 - 1998 Associate Professor
- 1997 – 1999 CEO Moeller-Electric
- 1975 - 1985 Assistant Professor
Faculty member in Graduate and Postgraduate Programmes in Electrical, Electronic, Communication and Control Technology, Advanced Materials and Nanosciences; Education in Design of Electronic Circuits and Devices, Electronic Measuring Instruments for Microelectronics, Microelectronic and Optoelectronic Sensors, Programmable Logic Devices, Conversion of Analogue and Digital Signals, more than 80 Diploma students (31 of them with excellent classification), 25 Research students with published papers, 15 PhD postgraduates.
Electronic systems, smart measurement systems, industrial and automotive communication buses, embedded systems, new types of integrated DA and AD converters, methods of their testing, analysis, simulation, smart industrial and special sensors, processing of sensor signals, networks of intelligent sensors for distributed applications, ASICs. Last few years focused to new embedded ASIC integrated measurement system for control responses from TFT sensors, behavioural and architectural specifications in embedded control system designs, security and safety frameworks, carbon nanotubes synthesized by plasma enhanced CVD for exploiting their electrical properties for application in pressure sensors, composite materials for electromagnetic interference shielding, smart sensors in wireless network system, artificial neural network for sensors data recognition, wireless communication in automation, executable specifications for embedded distributed systems.
Publications and research outputs:
1 monograph, 10 textbooks, over 140 journal and conference full text papers, 7 patents, 5 computer programs, 11 prototypes, 5 utility models; WoS citations 187 (self-citations excluded), h-index: 8
13 years (1980 - 1992) Deputy Head of Dept. of Microelectronics, 5 years (1993 - 1997) Head of Dept. of Microelectronics FEEC BUT (approx. 40 employees plus 25 PhD students). In 1997, he established and became a CEO (1997 - 1999) of Moeller-Electric (100% Daughter Company of Klöckner-Moeller International Company seated in Bonn), yearly turnover of about 10 mil Euro. In 1999, he returned to BUT FEEC as a full-professor and in 2000 he started as a Vice-Dean of FEEC BUT responsible for research and PhD study programmes, and in 2001 till 2010 he was appointed as the Dean of the BUT FEEC (approx. 400 academic and supporting technical and administrative staff, more than 4300 students, yearly budget about 16 mil. Euro). Since 2009 Science Director for Material Science of CEITEC Central European Institute of Technology, and since 2011 Director of CEITEC BUT. Since 2010 coordinator of Research Programme 5 – Sensor Systems in SIX Centre.
Principal investigator of many national and international grants and projects, yearly budget in average 1.5 mil. Euro including two successive long term Research Programs funded by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport of the Czech Republic. He has long and deep professional activities with industry in direct cooperation and common research projects (e.g. Megatron, Motorola, Flextronics, Honeywell, AMI Semiconductors, ON Semiconductor, Knobel, BetaControl, BD Sensors).
Further university and academic service:
- Group of experts to evaluate research and development proposals, Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Czech Republic (2001 - )
- Group of experts to evaluate research and development proposals, Slovak Research and Development Agency, Slovak Republic (2007 - )
- Member of Research and Development Advisory Board for ministerial program TIP (2008 - 2016)
- Member of Research and Development Advisory Board for ministerial program TRIO (2015 - )
- Member of Scientific Boards: Brno University of Technology (BUT) (2001 - ), Masaryk University (2011 - ), Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication BUT (1995 - ), Faculty of Information Technologies BUT (2001- ), Institute of Scientific Instruments Academy of Sciences Brno (2003 - 2006).
- Member of Doctoral Study Boards: Advanced Materials and Nanosciences; Electrical and Electronic Technology; State examination commissions on undergraduate or doctoral level - chairman: Microelectronics and Technology, Microelectronics
- Vice President of A.M.S.E. Association for the Advancement of Modelling and Simulation Techniques in Enterprises, France (1994 – 2005)
- Member of Editorial Board of Sensors & Transducers Journal (1999 - 2010)
In 1997, he established and became a CEO (1997-1999) of Moeller-Electric industrial and development company; 1989 Institute of Scientific Instruments, Academy of Science of the Czech Republic - 1 year visiting researcher; 1982 Univ. of Salford, Great Britain - 3 months research fellow.